February 5, 2013 – In a confidential Justice Department 16-page memo which was obtained by NBC News concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” — even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.
“This is a chilling document,” said Jameel Jaffer, deputy legal director of the ACLU, which is suing to obtain administration memos about the targeted killing of Americans. “Basically, it argues that the government has the right to carry out the extrajudicial killing of an American citizen. … It recognizes some limits on the authority it sets out, but the limits are elastic and vaguely defined, and it’s easy to see how they could be manipulated.”
So now we know that Barack Obama is perfectly willing to kill American citizens without regard to our judicial process.
Some people called for the impeachment of George Bush for being a war criminal. They considered water boarding a war crime, the same technique used to obtain the information which made possible for Osama Bin Laden to be captured. Democrats screamed and demanded we allow accused terrorists to be tried by jury.
Today we have Barack Obama using drones to kill American citizens, like the two who died in the September 2011 strike in Yemen. Alleged al-Qaida operatives Anwar al-Awlaki, and Samir Khan, were U.S. citizens who had never been indicted by the U.S. government nor charged with any crimes. Yet they were targeted and killed. Where was the demand for due process then?
When Obama comes into office he stops water boarding. Now he is self appointed judge, jury and executioner by use of drones. Numbers of innocent men, women and children have been killed in drone attacks, including American citizens…. and now we are expected to allow this man to disarm the citizens of the United States with his illegal gun control laws. I don’t think so! Tell me – Who is the war criminal now?-JRoycroft
- CHILLING: In Writing, the Justification Used by Obama to Kill Americans (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Justice Dept: Legal For U.S. To Kill Al-Qaida Americans Abroad (albanytribune.com)
- Obama Plans to Assassinate American Citizens? (americanlivewire.com)
- When it’s OK for the US govt to kill citizens (kottke.org)
- Someone Just Leaked Obama’s Rules for Assassinating American Citizens (reason.com)
- White Paper Asserts Obama Administration May Kill Americans Without Due Process (news.firedoglake.com)
- Obama: It’s Okay to Kill Americans Without Due Process (sayitaintsoalready.com)