Severe storms that first developed across Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma on Tuesday evening progressed eastward overnight, leaving a trail of damage behind.
Missouri, northern Arkansas, southern Illinois, southern Indiana and western Kentucky became the targets of violent storms. A total of 15 tornado reports came out from Tuesday evening into Wednesday morning. Some of the storms and tornadoes were extremely destructive with at least four people killed. Some of the hardest hit areas by destructive and deadly tornadoes include Branson, Mo., and Harrisburg, Ill.
The tornado that hit Harrisburg, IL early this morning has now been rated EF-4, with 170 mph winds.
Fatalities, injuries, and damage by state:
- 6 Dead in Harrisburg. The youngest victim was 22 years old.
- Approx. 100 people were injured. 80 received treatment at the local hospital.
- 300 structures damaged.
- 3 Fatalities, all adults
- Approx. 40 injuries.
- 6 people were hospitalized due to injuries sustained in Harveyville.
- 1 Injury in Wilson County.
- 24 Counties suffered structural damage.
- 2 fatality and an unknown number of injuries in Cumberland Co, TN.
- 26 Photos Of Deadly Tornado Destruction In The Midwest (buzzfeed.com)
- Emergency Declared As Tornadoes Kill Nine In US (news.sky.com)
- Tornadoes rip through US midwest, leaving at least 13 dead (guardian.co.uk)
- Tornadoes lash America’s Midwest leaving 13 dead and hundreds injured (mirror.co.uk)
- Deadly Tornado Night (fox4kc.com)